Local Rules & Course Conditions
Play as it lies
CARTS – ON (Follow Signs)
BUNKERS – In Play
COURSE – 1-18
WEATHER – Click Here
Rules In Focus
Click on the links below to view our Rules in Focus articles
TEMPORARY LOCAL RULES
DEPRESSIONS IN GRASS FROM PAINTED LINES
Any ball that has come to rest IN the depressions (old painted lines) across the front of the greens is entitled to free relief.
This can be treated as Ground Under Repair (GUR) and a drop behind the depression without penalty can occur.
THE COAST GOLF CLUB – LOCAL RULES
To be read in conjunction with Rules of Golf Publications (This includes the new Rules of Golf effective January 2023) as compiled by the R&A & USGA.
Penalty for breach of Local Rule
MATCH PLAY – LOSS OF HOLE
STROKE PLAY – TWO STROKES
For the Full R&A Rules of Golf – Click Here
All course marking eg: tee markers, stakes defining penalty areas, GUR, drop zones, but not including out of bounds markers are to be treated as immovable obstructions and relief may be taken (RULE 16.1)
NB: A ball in a hazard- no relief without penalty if interfered by penalty area stake or immovable obstruction (RULE 16.1)
All distance markers are to the centre of the green
- 200m (blue), 150m (white) & 100m (red) are identified by posts located at side of the fairway.
FIXED SPRINKLER HEADS
All fixed sprinkler heads are immovable obstructions and relief from interference by them may be obtained under RULE 16-1. If a ball lies off the putting green but not in a penalty area and is within two (2) club lengths of the intervening sprinkler head it may be lifted, cleaned and dropped at the nearest point to where the ball lay which:
- Is not nearer the hole
- Avoids such intervention
- Is not in a penalty area or on a putting green
All garden beds are classified as General Area. (No relief)
GROUND UNDER REPAIR
All new work may be treated as GUR and relief taken (RULE 16)
May be indicated by white paint ground markings, white pegs or signage.
LINE OF SIGHT
There is no provision in the Rules of Golf or our Local Rules for this condition. This means no line-of-sight relief from safety screens, bridges, seats & bins etc.
VEHICLE WHEEL TRACKS
(Course maintenance vehicles and golf carts/pull-buggies)
- A player whose ball comes to rest in a wheel track caused only by golf course maintenance tractors, they may take relief without penalty, within one club length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief, but not in a penalty area (RULE 16).
- If the ball lies through the green, on a wheel track, in areas of the course where carts are directed by the Course Superintendent by signage or ropes, but not on a made path, the player may lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief, but not in a penalty area (RULE 16)
Defined pathways constructed from Bitumen, Concrete and Crushed rock / road-base are to be treated as immovable obstructions and relief may be taken. This includes the white rock path area at the emergency access point from Bilga Crescent on the 13th hole.
OUT OF BOUNDS
- Indicated by White and Black topped stakes, painted lines or signage.
- On bitumen entry access roads and associated gutter system adjacent to Clubhouse and car parks and includes grass areas under wire protective fences in main carpark.
- The adjoining St Michaels Golf Course (5th and 6th) and Randwick Golf Course (13th).
- Over any course boundary (permanent or temporary).
- When playing the 3rd hole, the teaching fairway located parallel to the left side of 3rd fairway. The ball must be lying totally on the closely mown part of the fairway to be classified Out of Bounds.
- Left of staked lateral penalty area adjacent to left hand side of 7th Hole.
- Over the brick walls fronting houses along the left-hand side of penalty area 10th Hole.
- Over the concrete path at right hand side of 17th green from penalty area marker near 10th bridge to the timber fence at rear 18th tee. Also, beyond the green as marked at garden bed and fencing
- When playing the 18th hole.
- The beach area beyond the boundary fence line at left hand side of fairway.
- 9th hole (whole area from dam to rear of green). The OOB is defined by stakes located adjacent the edge of the gutter of the cart-path which starts at rear of the green extending down the path to the penalty area markings adjoining the dam.
- The internal OOB marked by stakes to west of the 18th green, encompassing the 9th tee and the 8th green
- The internal OOB to the east of the 18th green encompassing the teaching fairway and picnic tables.
- When playing the 18th hole.
SLOW PLAY / PACE OF PLAY
The Coast Golf Club endorses and recommends READY GOLF – Hit when READY
If a group loses a hole on the group in front for whatever reason, then the following group must be called through.
Penalties may apply. Refer RULE 5.6
Penalty: 2 shots per hole (maximum of 4 shots) and applies to ALL of the group
Continuous infringement of this rule will see playing rights curtailed.
If such a tree interferes with the player’s stance or area of intended swing, the ball must be lifted without penalty and dropped per the procedure prescribed in RULE 24-2b (1). The ball may be cleaned when lifted.
STONES IN BUNKERS
Stones in Bunkers are moveable obstructions RULE 15.1
7th HOLE – DROP ZONE
When playing the 7th hole and the ball is virtually certain to have entered the penalty area on the left side of the hole, the player, if using the drop option of RULE 17.1d, MAY drop in the prepared drop zone indicated by red stakes with white tops located at the beginning of the fairway.
12th HOLE – VENT PIPE
If a shot made during play of the 12th hole strikes the ventilation pipe, the shot must be replayed without penalty.
16th HOLE – FREE DROP ZONE
Any ball that has rolled down to the bottom of the path past the blue line on the path (marked on gutter, either side of path), and is at rest on the path, may be lifted and dropped within the dedicated drop zone. This drop is without penalty.
The Drop Zone area is marked out by red and white topped stakes.
18th HOLE – DROP ZONE
When playing the 18th hole and the ball is SEEN to enter the penalty area in front of the 18th green, the player, if using the drop option of RULE 17.1d, MAY drop in the prepared drop zone indicated by red stakes with white tops located to the left of the fairway at the top of the hill.
When preferred lies are permitted, a ball lying on the closely mown (closest cut portion) of the golf course, may, without penalty may be moved by hand or may be lifted, cleaned and placed within 15cm of where the ball originally lay, but not nearer the hole. After the ball has been moved and placed, it is in play.
Before the ball is moved or lifted, it must first be marked (RULE 14.1).
IN DROP ZONES – All designated drop zones (7th, 16th, 18th and temporary), can be played as “Preferred Lies” at all times. Even when Play As It Lies conditions are in play.
TEMPORARY LOCAL RULES
Where indicated on notices at the Pro Shop area or on the Notice Board on the Pro Shop wall, the Committee may advise of the application of a Temporary Local Rule which may be needed to cover a special condition applicable on the day of play.
Through the green, a ball that is embedded in its own pitch mark in the ground, other than sand, may be lifted without penalty, cleaned and dropped as near as possible to where it lay but no nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.
Note: a player may not obtain relief under this Local Rule if it is clearly unreasonable for him to make a stroke because of interference by anything other than the condition covered by this Local Rule. (RULE 16.3)
If a player determines the ball to be unplayable within a bunker and Casual Water does not permit relief to be taken at a point no closer to the hole within the bunker, a player MAY drop outside the bunker at the nearest point to where the ball reasonably crossed the margin under penalty (RULE 19.3).
MEMBERS COURSE MAINTENANCE
All players are required to carry and use a bucket containing sand, repair all fairway divots and pitch marks on greens
POINTS NOT COVERED BY RULES
If any situation is not covered by the Rules of Golf or Local Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with EQUITY (RULE 20.3) AND BROUGHT TO THE NOTICE OF THE MATCH COMMITTEE IMMEDIATELY